The mission of the Lewis & Clark Conservation District is to provide leadership in the conservation and wise use of soil, water, and related resources.
Conservation Districts in Montana utilize locally-led and largely non-regulatory approaches to address natural resource issues. CDs have a decades-long history of conserving our state’s resources by helping local people match their needs to available technical and financial resources, thereby getting good conservation practices on the ground to the benefit of all Montanans.
The CD works with educators, small acreage landowners, ranchers and farmers. Many times over the past decades, the District has helped with fire rehabilitation efforts focusing on revegetation, property management and weed control and the CD has also assisted landowners recovering from flood events. Co-located with the federal agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service, the Conservation District has access to technical help for area landowners.
The Annual Plan for Lewis & Clark Conservation District encompasses aspects of water, plant and people resources. Community education concerning these resources, and active involvement in watershed work, noxious weed eradication and control, grazing management issues and quality customer service in the form of the Lewis & Clark Land Stewardship Series, the quarterly newsletter The Explorer, annual workshops and participation in the Youth Education Curriculum are part of our Annual Plan. The District works with state legislators, informing them of current resource issues and challenges in their areas.
The Lewis & Clark Conservation District is located in Lewis & Clark County, Montana. Encompassing the southern portion of the East Front of the Rocky Mountains, forest in abundance and range and crop lands of the Montana plains, the District assists large and small acreage landowners with their management concerns.
The Following Video From the National Association of Conservation Districts Discusses the History and the Future of Conservation Districts
Board of Supervisors
The Lewis & Clark Conservation District has an elected Board of Supervisors. In 1997, the District formally divided into seven supervisor areas with one Supervisor from each area.
The Current Board of Supervisors
The Current Board of Supervisors are: Chairman, Jeff Ryan of North Helena Valley; Vice Chair, Ron Ingersoll of the Wolf Creek/Dearborn River area, Treasurer, Jeanette Nordahl of the Lincoln Area, members , Stephen Granzow of East Helena Valley, Sarah Howe Cobb of the Augusta area, John Baucus of the Sieben/Craig area, and Stan Frasier of the south Helena Valley. Associate Supervisors (non-voting, appointed by the board) include Alan Rollo of Great Falls, David Martin of Helena, and Karl Christians of Helena Valley.
The Helena Field Office staff for the Natural Resources Conservation Service currently consists of Ryan Mar who is on detail to the office through mid-April and Sean Clancy, an area engineer who works primarily in the work unit for Teton, Lewis & Clark and Jefferson Counties.
The Lewis & Clark Conservation District was organized in June 1948. It originally included all of Lewis and Clark County except a portion in the northeast corner, which was part of Cascade County Conservation District, and it included part of Jefferson County lying north of the Boulder Hill. It excluded the 1948 city boundaries of Helena and East Helena.
In 1961, the portion of Lewis and Clark County in Cascade County Conservation District was made part of LCCD. In June 1966, the part of the District in Jefferson County was made a part of the Jefferson Valley Conservation District.
Areas of Helena and East Helena that were annexed since 1948 are included in the Conservation District.
There are 1,288,258 acres in Lewis & Clark County, not including National Forest land. That amounts to 2013 square miles. There are 54 miles of the Sun River paralleling the county line with Teton Conservation District. 696,960 of over 1.4 million acres of the Sun River Watershed are located in Lewis & Clark Conservation District.
Membership of the first Board of Supervisors consisted of Myrlin Donaldson, George Diehl, Gilman Mirehouse, Robert Mosher and Adolph Burgraff. Brick Vaughn served as the first District Secretary and Rex Campbell and Homer Turner were the first technicians with the Soil Conservation Service.